Opened in November 2010, Rosalie Bay is an eco-luxury and wellness resort located on the southeast coast of the Nature Island of Dominica just 45 minutes from the capital city of Roseau.
This hand-built sanctuary seamlessly blends into its 22-acre surroundings on a location that is unparalleled. Rosalie Bay is nestled in the foothills of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the MorneTrois Pitons where the Rosalie River rushes out to meet the Atlantic Ocean. Here, three endangered sea turtles come ashore each year to nest on Rosalie Bay’s protected black sand beach.
For owner Bev and her partner Oscar, Rosalie Bay Resort was a labor of love that was nine years in the making. The result was the island’s first luxury resort that shares the beauty of the nature isle with visitors, empowers the local residents and protects the environment.
Rosalie Bay features 28 spacious accommodations, organic cuisine, nature-inspired spa, personalized wellness program and luxurious amenities. Stunning natural beauty and elegant, modern touches work in perfect harmony to create a vacation that is simply magical.
GETTING TO DOMINICA
Dominica (pronounced “Domineek-ah”) is the “Nature Isle of the Caribbean.” The youngest island in the Lesser Antilles, Dominica is located between Guadeloupe and Martinique.
The island is rich in natural beauty and was the first country to be Green Globe Benchmarked. It is also one of the “World’s Best Ethical Destinations” according to Ethical Traveler.
Ferry service is available from neighboring islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique and St. Lucia. Air service is available into Melville Hall Airport (DOM) from the Caribbean islands of Antigua, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico and St. Lucia. Many major airlines within the US, Canada and UK offer direct flights into these destinations.
Passports are required to visit Dominica.
Tucked within Heliconia, Noni and Frangipani trees and bushes are nine cottages housing 28 rooms and suites. Attention to detail is seen throughout each air-conditioned accommodation – from hand-carved four-poster beds, armoires and writing desks to colorful original local artwork and luxurious bathrooms with granite countertops and vessel sinks.
Accommodations offer views of the Atlantic Ocean, Rosalie River and vibrant gardens and include:
- 6 Garden view Superior Rooms – Each includes a queen-size bed, writing desk, bathroom with tiled walk-in rain shower and front porch with sitting area.
- 10 Junior Suites with Ocean and Garden Views – Each spacious Junior Suite features either one king- or two queen beds, writing desk, seating area and expansive bathroom with tiled walk-in rain shower and over-sized tub.
- 9 Oceanfront Suites – Closest to the Atlantic Ocean, these spacious suites feature oceanfront porches, king-size bed, sitting area with daybed for additional guests, writing desk and expansive bathroom with tiled walk-in rain shower and over-sized tub.
- 1 Premier Oceanfront Suite – The largest Oceanfront Suite and located closest to the ocean, the Premier features a large sitting area, hand-carved wet bar, king-size bed, expansive bathroom with tiled walk-in rain shower and separate room with a jetted tub.
- 2 Riverside Suites – Along the Rosalie River, these expansive suites feature vaulted ceilings,living room with sofa, spacious bathroom with double sinks, tiled walk-in rain shower and over-sized tub, and bedroom with king-size bed, sitting area and writing desk. A back porch with swing sits at the water’s edge and front porch offers views of the pool.
In-room amenities include flat-screen TV, iPod docking station, robes and slippers, beach towels,welcome bottles of water and fruit basket, fresh flower arrangement refreshed daily, mini refrigerator, coffee maker, safe, natural spa toiletries, daily housekeeping and nightly turndown service.
Daily rates include a healthful Continental breakfast featuring fresh-squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, organic fruit, oatmeal, whole wheat toast with homemade marmalade, power drinks, smoothies and herbal teas.
Fresh herbs, fruits and vegetables grown in Rosalie Bay’s organic garden as well as local ingredients highlight the culinary experience at Rosalie Bay Resort.
Zamaan Restaurant is an intimate, open-air restaurant with indoor and outdoor dining. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Zamaan offers a menu filled with healthful cuisine and Dominican favorites.
Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free menu options are also available. The thatched-roof Oscar’s Pool Bar is open for lunch, afternoon snacks and happy hour daily.
Rosalie Bay Resort also offers Organic Cooking Light Classes to help guests continue to eat healthy at home. Led by the resort chef, the hour-long class and tasting is offered on a private and group basis.
WELLNESS & SPA
Wellness takes center stage at Rosalie Bay Resort. The holistic approach includes nutrition, fitness, relaxation and nature.
Outdoor meditation spots, including natural stone benches, a labyrinth and koi pond, can be found throughout the property. Activities include complimentary daily yoga and Pilates classes, private yoga and Pilates classes, guided nature hikes, guided meditation, personal training and lifestyle coaching by an onsite wellness coordinator.
The oceanfront Kalinago Spa offers natural healing with ingredients grown at the resort and found locally, such as volcanic mud, river stones, local hand-pressed herbal oils, organic scrubs and marine algae. The menu of customized treatments includes massages, hydrotherapy, body wraps, body scrubs, facials, manicures and pedicures.
Rosalie Bay Resort is a pioneer for its sustainable efforts on Dominica. Energy is generated from solar panels and a 225 kW wind turbine, which is the first wind turbine on Dominica and the largest in the Leeward Islands of the Caribbean.
From LED lights to chairs made from recycled materials to sustainably-produced cotton towels and UV filtered natural spring water, every detail at the eco resort puts the environment first.
The owners Bev and Oscar also pioneered the first sea turtle protection efforts on Dominica. Every year between March and October three species of endangered sea turtle – the Leatherback, Green and Hawksbill – nest and hatch on Rosalie Bay’s black sand beach. Guests can take part in education programs, night guard duty to protect nesting sea turtles and later in the season, watch hatchlings make their way out to sea.
In addition to being sustainable, Rosalie Bay Resort is proud of its efforts to help the local economy. The resort was built by hand by locals and continues to be a major source of employment for the local village.
AMENITIES & SERVICES
- Saltwater pool lined with onyx and surrounded by a river rock patio
- Oceanfront Kalinago Spa
- Expansive fitness center with free weights, cardio and weight machines
- Guided hike along the resort’s nature trail
- Kayaks for use in the Rosalie River
- Labyrinth, Koi pond and outdoor meditation spots
- Daily Yoga and Pilates classes
- Personal training, lifestyle coaching and nutrition counseling*
- Organic Cooking Light classes*
- Massage lessons*
- Zamaan Restaurant
- Oscar’s Pool Bar
- Secluded black sand beach**
- 4,000-square-feet air-conditioned meeting and event space
- Gift shop featuring handmade works from local artists and artisans
- Gazebo above the Rosalie River for weddings, events and dining
- Room service*
- Refreshing “Rosalie” welcome drink
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Concierge services to arrange guided hikes and tours
- Airport transfers*
- Sea turtle watching and education activities (March – October)*
- Laundry and dry cleaning services*
- Babysitting services*
*Charges may apply.
**Please note that due to strong surf and undertow, and for the safety of all guests, swimming is not permitted on the beach at Rosalie Bay Resort.**